From:
Alexandra Sargent-Colburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:29:42 +0000
Dear Aunt-

Well, I went to the link you supplied
(http://www.mtv.com/videos/born-of-osiris/475827/now-arise.jhtml) and
clicked on the video. I thought to myself "my volume isn't up very
high, don't need to adjus..."

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
ROUH!!!! ROUH-ROUH ROUG AHHHHHHHG ROUH!!!!!!!!!
(BANGA-BANGA-BANGITY-BANGBANGBANG)
ROOOOOOOUUUGHHH!!!!!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The noise was phenomenal, immediate, overwhelming and frankly
disturbing. It had a primal intensity, but there was an alien aspect,
too. The (lyrics?) suggested that the singer represented some member of
the genus homo, but not one that *I* was personally familiar with or
could even breed with and expect a live birth as a result. I knocked
over my coffee trying to get to my volume knob.

Todd and Caff-Pow, whose cage was no more than an arm's length away
from the computer both awoke in terror, bolted from their hammies, and
ran around and around, bouncing from cage level to level. Caff-Pow
knocked over the water bottle (not an easy thing to do, it's pretty
well secured) and finally just stood there, looking at me, incredulous.
Todd retreated to the litter pan. I finally got control of the volume.
The silence was *deafening*.

I assume that the (BANGA-BANGA-BANGITY-BANGBANGBANG) was your nephew
on drums. He must be in truly awesome physical shape to play the drums
*that* fast *and* keep a coherent beat. I am sure, as you say, that he
is truly a nice boy from a good home. I have to add that he is also a
very *smart* boy, because this sort of (music?) has a huge fan base,
mostly early adolescent males who hate their parents and somehow also
lower themselves to accept their tainted cash to buy this stuff on CD.
New CD's are not cheap, and the supply of angry young males from
suburbia who have had every opportunity this society can offer yet
still hate the world is apparently limitless.

I do hope that he is wearing some ear protection, or his career will be
very short-lived, indeed. I don't recommend those flimsy little foam
ear plugs, I was thinking more of an ear-canal sized version of the
spent uranium slugs used as ammunition by M-1 Abrams tanks in battle.

Best of luck to the band.

Alexandra in MA

Caff-Pow: "What the HELL was that?"
Todd: "Heavy artillery, we're being shelled!"