From:
Cheryl Nordgulen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:58:52 -0800
Thank you, Troy Lynn, for putting it so beautifully in writing.  And for
specifying the differences in the language.  Of the three I have left in
my shelter, little Roo is taking the longest to adjust to the change from
one home to another.  I try to give him lots of extra love and attention.
Bastien has fully adapted and delights in beating me to the gate, running
through at breakneck speed and then dancing with delight all over the
kitchen.  He doesn't do it to escape, as he always comes right to me when
I call him by name.  He is a rambunctious fellow by nature, while Roo is
more quiet and definitely withdrawn, except at Ferrettone and Treat Time.
They are both healthy now that they are off the cat food their owner was
feeding them, have had the coccidiosos cleared out of their systems, and
have a whole big room to play in.

If you would like to read some good comments on the 'dumbing down" of our
language, go to C. J. Cherryh's home page and read her comments.  C.J.
is one of the top of the line science fiction writers, and she was a
professor, so she has some pretty pithy comments on the way our language
is used.  Myself, I remember my Teacher in the 6th grade back in 1951
stating this little rule: You can like "but not love" or dislike or hate
an inanimate object.  You can only love or like an animate.  She did not
like to hear the word "hate" in her classroom.  We were strenuously
encouraged to find alternative words to use in our theme papers.  I
thought she was so strict at the time, now I bless her for what she
taught so well.

I love ferrets, truly love them, just like my children, no matter what
they do.  They get into some interesting scrapes at times, but that is
going to bring laughter, not yelling.

Cheryl Nordgulen of the Critterpen