From:
"Diana J. Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 1996 22:21:58 -0500
Hi everybody.

The post about Rikki and anaphylactic shock scared me to death.  We have
Brown Recluse spiders here in Missouri.  My son, (coincidentally, Ricky),
was bitten in his sleep a few years ago, and became terribly ill.  He
recovered quickly, with steroid and antihystimine treatment, but I'm sure a
recluse bite would kill a ferret.  We also have Northern Tarantulas.  The
Conservation department says they do bite but it's no worse pain-wise, or
venom-wise than a wasp sting, but again, I worry about the effect such a
bite would have on my 3 lb.  and 1 lb.  ferrets.  Two questions: Would I be
able to detect some symptom of anaphylaxis *before* my ferrets began to
vomit blood and have bloody stools?  I realize Rikki's mom was at work.  She
was *not* to blame for Rikki's illness.  But I work at home and have nearly
constant contact with my ferts during my waking hours.  Would I notice a
problem--say with breathing or something--before my ferrets come so close to
death?

Next question: is there something *safe* I can use to get rid of the
spiders?  *What about a hedgehog?!  Will it eat a spider almost as big as
itself?!

What if any, are the initial symptoms of (oh, geez, I gotta spell this
*again*!)anaphylactic shock?  Can I put my ferrets' cages on benches or
something, to keep the spiders from crawling in?  I'm starting to fret and
stew, here.  Any advise will be appreciated.  It doesn't help any that
spiders give me the *heebie-jeebies*!

Thanx in advance--

Didi Anderson <standing on chair, clutching Rascal's teddybear> "Oh, God,
               Ricky, look!  It's a <cringe!> spider!  Come over here and
               kill it!"
& Rascal      "Mom, I want my bear!"
& Dandy       "Wow, look at that new fuzzy toy mom got us!  That's the
               way, Ricky! *Stomp* the *stuffin'* out of it!  Here, lemme
               have a *crack* at it!"