From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:52:38 -0500
>I posted a while back how our Clubs Co/ Founders' kit (11 months, Marshall
>farm) had tested Positive for ADV ....she has since left for the Bridge;(
>(Sonja,we LOVED you...)  Now yet another member (Clubmedferrets) had her 9
>month old kit from Marshalls test Positive...
>I'm not naming Marshalls,however a DR at Avecon labs (ADV tests) told me
>that other than getting it at birth it takes about 6 weeks to show on a
>test....after exposure.....we're talking a 9 week old kit here folks....

and

>I once lost 6 jills at the same time due to a pet food that was suppose to
>be for ferrets.  I lost the hob 5 days later, same reason.  All 7 ferrets
>internal organs and blood vessels had hemoraghed (SP?).  I have submitted
>all of the information to various attorneys and legal firms, but none of
>them want to go after the manufacturer

Whoa!  Slow down, folks!  What the heck is going on?!?!?

Okay, first, I will give the second poster the benefit of the doubt and
assume that necropsies and pathology and testing of the food by an expert
laboratory supported that conclusion, but it would have made sense to,
PLEASE, just say so in that case, especially at this time when scapegoats
seem to be sought in multiple situations.  Recently (and I don't know why)
we have encountered multiple cases in which someone is being sought to
take blame without all of the actual FACTS being known, and that simply
is NOT responsible or fair behavior.

In relation to all 5(?) of those recent situations: It would really help
if situations in which there are facts were posted in such a way that it
was learned why and how they have facts at this time when so many are
looking for scapegoats.  If there aren't facts like firm test results on
tests done by experts then it would pay to get some first before making
statements.

Okay, in relation to the ADV test: according to other reports the person
used a do-at-home test -- which is said to be easily misused with FALSE
RESULTS from misuse and from its built-in lack of precision (compared to
other available tests) according to past posts in multiple places.  The
manufacturer itself apparently has advised that when that test comes back
positive to use it as a MAYBE and then have the VET then do one of their
more precise BLOOD tests.  Meanwhile, no one has heard, yet, if the test
may have been done too close to the Canine Distemper Vaccination.  I don't
know if this particular test is sensitive to that but some ADV tests give
false positives if they are given too close to the vaccination, and as
far as i have heard so far that possibility has not been checked into.
Meanwhile, a nine month old ferret has many places where it could have
encountered ADV *****IF***** it does have it.  If it is a nine week old
ferret (Both are said by same poster) then the test could just be too
close to the CDV vaccinations and had a false positive from that, from
misuse, from test imprecision, etc..  It is time to have a VET do a blood
test and the test-maker's lab check the results!  This is no more than a
"maybe" -- it just is not reliable without the more precise re-testing.

1. Repeat with MORE REPUTABLE TESTING BY A VET, taking precautions
   for the other ferrets in the meantime.
2. *****IF***** positive in a reputable blood test done by the vet and
   checked by the test manufacturer's laboratory then use the precautions
   described in many places for long term ADV situations, and try to find
   out where exposure possibly occurred (home, store, someone visiting
   store, distributor, breeder).  To ASSUME that it is one instead of
   any the other possibilities is simply NOT fair right now, nor is it
   logical, constructive, just, or responsible -- ***** especially when
   we don't even know if the ferret even really is positive *****!

This is a stand-alone situation and must be treated as an anomaly for
which not enough data is yet in.

I just know that some folks who tend toward grudge matches will carry this
on without caring about facts if folks here don't REFUSE to honor behavior
that doesn't suit adults, and that some other sweet and well-meaning folks
who panic a bit too easily (as happened with yesterday's post) will also
increase this distribution unless they calm down and realize that this is
still so very, very, very, very preliminary that it's like getting the
plot of a mystery novel from the first sentence.  The ferret rumor mill
has hurt a number of good people through the years when blame has been
placed without facts and that just plain stinks.  It's so inappropriate
for adults.

What is with all of the "Burn the Witch!" accusing attitudes turning up
recently in the ferret community in general?  This is something like the
5th case in just a few weeks!  Didn't anyone learn anything from Salem or
the phrase that "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat
it."?  FACTS FIRST!  handling it as a known situation -- when it is NOT
one -- is not only unjust but it is irresponsible in terms of health and
ferret care to accuse without facts.