From:
Andrew Gold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 02:45:37 -0500
I have two male ferrets, Itchy and Scratchy.  They have been together
since I got them 18 months ago.  Yesterday, Scratchy disappeared as I was
getting ready to go to bed.  He loves to hide and has done this before,
and he always reappears the next morning - either caught in a closet or
cabinet, or sleeping behind the washer, etc.  So I have learned not to
make a big deal out of it (especially because it just upsets my 5 year
old daughter).  However, this morning he did not appear, and it has now
been about 30 hours since I last saw him.  We had company last night and
someone did leave the house once without warning me.  She swears she
closed the door and was conscious of the ferrets - and also says she
saw him after she came back - but I can not think of any other time he
could have gotten outside.  I have turned the house upside down at least
3 times, and he is nowhere to be found!

Even if my visitor was not completely honest, how likely is it that a
ferret who has never been outside would bold into very cold weather (we
live just north of New York City)?  I am not sure what I expect from
the group, but I am really worried and am not sure what else to do.....
Can a ferret survive in freezing temperatures (at least there is no
snow)?  Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.