From:
"Green, Kelly D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 13:13:24 -0500
I have three fuzzies, three cats, three dogs and a turtle.  My family
thinks all the pets are fine except for the fuzzies.  No one in my family
understands about the fuzzies.  A few years ago I was also one of them
non-ferret-knowledgeable people my self.  My oldest daughter kept asking
for one and I would always say "no, there is no way we are getting a
ferret, they smell bad and they bite."

Well......... everyone in my office knows how much I love animals and
about five months ago a co-worker of mine asked me if I wanted a ferret.
The ferret was his daughters and she wanted to give it away.  And for
some unknown reason (I think GOD knew how much I would enjoy them:-)  I
instantly said yes.  I immediately started reading everything I could find
on ferrett's I found the FML on line and joined and just did all kinds of
research before I actually brought him (found out at the vet she is
actually a she) home.  Well when I told my family I was getting a ferret,
I heard all kinds of slack about it.  They even said they would not come
over unless "those rats" are in their cages; which, I figured I would keep
them in the cage when non-ferret-friendly people came over any way.

Well I fell in love with my little Louie instantly and realized all of
the joy and happiness I had missed out on all that time I wouldn't let my
daughter have one.  Actually I ended up getting two more precious little
babies about two months after I got her.........and I am always looking for
a little fuzzie needing a home in my area.

Well my family members were always refering to them as 'big rat's' and I am
always trying to educate them on ferret's.  I don't know how many times I
have said "They are not rat's, they were actually domesticated to hunt
rat's and rabbit's".  And always telling them how loving and gentle the
ferrets are.

Well it is beginning to pay off, they are actually beginning to come
around.  My mom who is the most scared of them walks over to the cage and
talks to them now every time she comes over.  Of course she still screams
and runs the other way when my little one gets one of the ferrets out of
the cage and tries to show her to grandma..........lol.  When I tell people
I have ferrets they always say "eeww, you have ferrets" and then there is
the occasional person who tells me to be very careful of the ferrets
because they are wild and very unpredictible.  One of my friends even told
me to be very very careful because she had one as a kid and it mauled an
entire litter of puppies, and once it got the taste of blood it attacked
everything in it's reach.

My advice to you would be just to try and educate them about ferret's, and
maybe they will come around like my family is beginning to.  One of my
cousins who really really didn't like ferrets is now in love with my little
Tidbit (silver mitt).  He held her the entire time he was at my house Sat.
night.

Good Luck to you and all of your fuzz butt's.

Kelly