From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:15:54 -0400
I have one DMK girl, 4 years old this spring. She is fine and fit and
healthy; the only medical problem she's had was ear mites once. I do
give her 1mg melatonin in her chicken gravy almost every day.

Having run a shelter in Ohio for several years in the past, I have some
experience with DMK ferrets. In general, the harsh outdoor conditions
in which they were raised did seem to result in survival of the
fittest. Those I've known do seem stronger and more active. However
there were also genetic issues, such as an unusually high rate of
cataracts. They do get adrenal disease, but I don't have enough data
to say if it's at an older age than other ferrets.

Linda