From:
Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 18:25:24 -0400
I haven't seen anything on the FML regarding Ferret and AIDS so I thought
I'd tell you a true story.

In 1987 I picked up a new client - his name was John.  By 1989 John had
become not only a client but a true friend.  In 1990 John told me he was
HIV+.  In 1991 I adopted my first Ferret

John is a true animal lover - it doesn't really matter what kind of animal
it is - John just loves all animals.  Right after Sweet Samantha's adoption
John came for a consultation - immediately he notices Sweet "Sam" and of
course he fell in love with her.

By the summer of 1991 my house had become a ferret shelter and everytime
John would visit all the kids would come out and play with him - all the
fuzzies loved John, all the dogs loved John.  John was and is someone you
just can't help but love.

My consultations have gone on with John for many years - each time he visits
everything comes to a standstill until John gets his Ferret Fuzzy love -
until this last visit.

I had talked to John a couple of weeks before his most recent visit - he had
been in the hospital and his health was detoriating.  Since I really wanted
to see the new home he bought I suggest I go to his home for a consult
instead of his having to drive to mine ( a 5 hour drive).  We were all set I
was going to visit John on June 21 1995 (the day of compassion), Well
wouldn't you know it my mate's son's wife went into labor and I had to
cancel my trip to John.  I had to relay this to him over the telephone and
he was very disappointed.  I suggested he talk to his doctor and see if it
was O.K.  to come and visit me at my home.  The doctor O.K's his visit but
with stipulations - John could not play with the ferrets!!!  Also I had to
make sure none of the fuzzies had colds or any other medical problem.

All fuzzies were check the day before John's visit and all were well.  John
arrived about 1100 hrs and as usual the first thing he did was go to the
ferret cages.  It was so awful - so sad - I just watched.  He visited each
and every ferret - he knew the old shelter kids by name and I told him about
the new ones - but John couldn't touch the ferret or hold them and cuddle
them - it was just awful - John tried to be so up but when tears weld up in
someone's eyes you can see them - I tried hard to be up and positive and I
think I hid my sadness from from John.

Unfortunately that horrible AIDS has stolen much from John - his health is
detoriating(spelling please excuse).  His liver is damaged, he has
pancreatitus (spelling), and now he has boarderline hemophilia.

Because of the Hemophilia John can't play with the ferret's if one scratched
him it could be deadly.  John has to be very careful of everything -
something as simple as a cold could kill him.

John's T-Cell count is very low - it's 119 (for those of you who don't know
that means full blown Aids)

I keep asking myself  - why the medical profession hasn't found a cure for
this awful sickness called AIDS.

I don't know what to say to the ferrets.  They don't understand why their
friend John can't play with them anymore.

Chere McCoy
Founder/Director Ferret Friends Disaster Response International