From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 00:35:25 -0000
I have read several references to ferrets with ulcers lately, and I was
wondering if any vets have used antibiotics to treat them?  I read a few
years ago (in Reader's Digest, of all places ... but they are interested in
wholistic healing) about a doctor who had published a study showing that 85%
of ulcers were bacterially caused and could be treated with antibiotics.  My
husband refused to insist that his gastroenterologist try this, so he had
ulcers for two more years until I convinced him to ask our family doctor.
Apparently, the original work has been accepted, because the doctor knew
what blood test to use (beats the heck out of barium enemas, huh?).  Test
was positive, and Eric took Pepcid and an antibiotic the name of which I
cannot remember.  Ulcer free for the past eight months.  He thinks it may be
coming back, but the respite was worth the little bit of trouble and he
would be willing to take the course of medication again.  It worked a heck
of a lot better than Pepcid alone.

In other words, the antibiotics did better than Pepcid (or Tagamet).  Could
they be used on our ferts?

Judith