From:
"Shelley R. Abare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:06:44 -0600
Ok, I got up my courage and took Kiki for his appointment this morning.
When I called this place I stated that I had an "obviously adrenal
ferret who needed a Lupron injection and Melatonin".  I asked "do you
see ferrets"?

The receptionist stated that they see ferrets "all the time".  So there
we go, ferret and accoutraments in hand, for our shots.  Get down there
after an hour drive and the vet is happy to see us.  Takes us right in
and she starts to tell me about flea allergies etc, but it's probably
adrenal disease.  She starts to tell me about another drug she gives for
the problem.  I said "what about Lupron" and is it any better?  She has
never heard of Lupron, doesn't carry it, and "it may take awhile to get
it!!!!!

At this point I'm getting frustrated, but still willing to work with her.
She's playing with Kiki and acts like she really likes animals, so I'm
pretty comfortable with her.  She says to get her some info on dosing and
"the article I saw" (I told her that I got my info from the FML) I never
mentioned seeing any articles on adrenal ferrets.  So, I found an article
on line about Lupron vs the other drug.  I can't find the !!!  article
now dang it.  But basically it said that Lupron was the way to go and the
other stuff didn't do much for ferrets.  (works well for dogs though).
So, any vets out there who can fax her the dosing info for Lupron and
Melatonin?  Kiki has blown almost 1/2 of his hair in just a week.  It's
literally falling out in chunks.  Her fax number is (850) 477-4803, the
clinic is Safe Harbor Animal Hospital.  Kiki weighs in at 2.1 lbs right
now.  (down .9 lbs from last vet appt in June).

Sorry this is so long but I kinda needed to vent a bit.

Shelley and the still naked Kiki