From:
Julie Thornton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 10:58:17 -0700
>The more recently neutered the better the muscle mass.  Really.  Until
>judge's training and knowing "what" I was feeling I didn't know either.

I'd just like to comment that this is the first time I've read what I've
noticed in our shelter.  We have twice recieved un-altered groups of
ex-breeder ferrets and seen how in a very short period of time the overall
body changes are impacted by the altering.  Stocky ferrets get noticeably
less stocky within 6-8 weeks.  This isn't even necessarily a weight change.
I got two females a couple of months ago who were very smallish and weighed
very lightly (which has been the case with every unaltered female I've
encountered).  After altering, they've both gained weight, but they are both
less... *dense*?  Bill, you're far more adept at applying proper terminology
to what I'm saying.

On the caging topic, I wonder if the caging problem is cyclical... We've
recently decided to put a standard cage request on EVERY thing we print.
The KFA shelter has a hodge-podge of cages, nearly all are borrowed, and
caging crises are entirely too common for us.  For this reason, we've done
some looking and found that Martins has an F-410 that would be easily
stacked and most of all INEXPENSIVE.

If you are a kind, generous type of person, a mere $45 would pay for a very
adequate cage and would be tax deductible, as we are in the final stages of
our 501(c)(3) process.

All caging donations will be applied directly to the purchase of cages.
We'd even gladly give you the address to mail a check directly to Martins.

All the best -
Julie @ Kansas Ferret Association