From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:38:02 -0400
Linda wrote:
>I often wonder why none of the ferret food companies come out with
>a decent canned diet.  If the problem with kibble is the amount of
>carbohydrates needed for its formation, then certainly a canned diet
>could be formulated without that problem.

Good point, or maybe a plastic wrapped semi-dry thing like those old dog
foods that looked like chopped beef?  One thing I have wondered about
many times is if formed foods could be made with concentrated gelatin
(like in cheweasels) as the matrix.  Personally, I am still withholding
judgement on some of the starch related hypotheses, but do realize that
there are several possible hypothetical routes to potential problems,
from the pancreatic things to compounds formed in starches cooked at
high temps.  Those may turn out to be red herrings or they may pan out;
at this point it's unknown.  Still, I often do wonder if it would be
possible to use that concentrated gelatin... Then again, it is 3:30 a.m.
so right now I could have been told a reason why it can't be used and
simply not remember it... (I never sleep well when Steve is away but
he'll be home tomorrow.)

Not all cardiomyopathy cases are the same.  Different approaches for
different needs, and all that.  Here is a resource that till help you
and it has links to more help:
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/cardiomyopathy.txt

If they eat the insects then just don't poison the insects with anything
that will accumulate in them and possibly go on to poison the ferrets.

If the ferrets have not been vaccinated at least have the dog examined
by a vet, have the dog vaccinated, make sure there are no parasites,
etc. and use a quarantine time to make sure that there is not already
something brewing like canine distemper.  Are you trying to find if the
dog has a person searching for him?