From:
Beth Randall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:17:22 -0800
>From:    Tracy McAlpine <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Just wondering if anyone knows if fennec foxes and ferrets can live
>together? I realize that supervision is necessary ...

Tracy, that is a good question- some say it is ok- however in our
experience- we have 13 ferrets & one fennec - that are kept separate- i
doubt it would work- first is diet- the fennec needs to high protein of
the ferret food, but it also needs a bout an equal amount of fruit and
vegetables- so the ferrets would ahve to be confined when you fed the
fennec so they didnt eat the f& v they shouldnt have-

also - fennecs are notoriously shy and may be very upset by the ferrets
unrelenting playfulness- since fennecs are about 4-5 lbs - if the
ferret ticks them off the fennec can out bite the ferret- fennecs are
also somewhat fragile as they have tiny little leg bones- that can
break easily- unlike the sturdy agile ferret- fennecs should climb
but they do like to hide like ferrets-

supervised play together would be ok to see if they get along- but
otherwise i would warn against trying to house them together-

fennecs are way more expensive than ferrets too(about 1500 for a good
bottle fed kit) - and can have heart troubles and such too- so they are
quite an undertaking- that said - i could not imagine life without
either fennecs or ferrets for me :)

take care!

oh & be sure to visit someone with a fennec before you decide to get
one- their urine smells like skunk too- sure ferrets smell- but fennecs
is different and 'spicier' and fennecs live about 15 yrs- twice that of
a ferret-

take care,
beth
www.crittercamp.biz  see the criters on the site