From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 09:30:24 -0500
I've posted a couple of times about a coworker's bald ferret that was
basically living most of its time in a cage because she works two jobs.
Suspecting adrenal, and not having the money right now to spend on
expensive surgery or medications, I spent two or three weeks checking with
my vet and the FML on options and costs.  I received e-mails from several
people saying that its poor diet and the stress of being in a cage all the
time could be the reason for its hair loss, and that even if I didn't treat
the adrenal, I should take it in so at least the ferret would be eating
better and be loved.  In the end, I decided to take the ferret, and look
into surgery in six or seven months if its hair hadn't come back.  On
Wednesday, I told the coworker (Cynthia) I would take her ferret, and
pickup was scheduled for Saturday morning.  Cynthia passed me when she left
for the day and said she was going to tell Petey to pack his things :) and
she was going to get his cage cleaned up and all.  That evening she held
him and told him that he was going to a new home in a couple of days.
Friday morning, she came to tell me she had bad news: when she got home
from work on Thursday, Petey had died :(.  She felt so bad, and asked him
why he couldn't have hung in there for a couple more days so he could meet
his new family.  She also said that when she said "pack your bags" she
didn't mean for THIS trip.  Guess he decided he wanted to go to the Rainbow
Bridge instead.  Thinking back, she said Petey hadn't eaten as much the
last couple of days, and didn't come around for his daily licorice treat
the night before.

When she told me about his passing, I couldn't help thinking about how
close he came to having a new home, and regreted taking so long to decide
to take him.  I emailed Cynthia about that, and this is what she wrote
back:

"Don't feel bad.  If you had taken him sooner, there is no reason to
believe that he would have lived that much longer anyway.  He developed
this tumor two years ago.  He lived longer than I expected anyway.  I'm
sure being around other ferrets would have been great for him and it may
have meant that he would have lived longer but who knows.  I just don't
want you to feel bad.  It was a big decision to have to make.  I appreciate
your willingness to take him.  Having two jobs meant that I was not home
often and could not give as much attention to him as he probably needed.
I know your family would have given him a lot of love and I thank you for
the gesture."

I, of course, felt bad because "if only" I had taken him three weeks ago,
he'd know he was loved.  I was just making sure I wasn't getting in too
deep, considering we already have four ferrets, all 2-4 years of age, and I
need to have the finances in case they develop illnesses of their own.  In
addition, I'm taking my teens on our first ever (and only!) dream vacation
in a few months after my son graduates.  In the end, though, I couldn't
bear to think of Petey's lonely life, and decided to take him - even though
surgery or meds wouldn't happen for at least six or seven months, I figured
at least he'd be loved and have some ferret friends.  The only consolation
I have is that it was probably best that Petey wasn't uprooted from
everything familiar this close to the end.  He would have died in a
strange place, and the transition to meeting new ferrets may have been
too stressful for him.

Goodbye, Petey - I wish I had learned about you a few months ago.

Debbie, Becky, and the fab foursome: Brae, Templeton, Sally and Phoebe
Remembering Jamie - with us such a short time, but special because she
was our first