From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 22:11:22 -0500
Troy and Bonnie,
There are a few possible causes of the symptoms you've discribed.
1) Juvenile Lymphosarcoma is probably the most likely with a lymphocyte count
that high, although the spinal cord is not a common area this disease affects
(it is still possible).  A fine needle aspirate of the spleen would be a good
next step.  This can be done without anesthesia and can give us a diagnosis.
 Unfortunately  the disease does not have a good prognosis.  I will caution
you that once a patient has been on prednisone (prelone) other forms of chemo
are less effective.
2) Cardiomyopathy with a thrombus (blood clot) that lodges in the blood
 vessle to the hind legs (saddle thrombus).  Although this is fairly common
in cats with cardimyopathy it is uncommon in ferrets.
With this disease the hind legs are colder then normal (especially the foot
pads) and the pulses in the hind legs are very weak or not palpable.  Also
there are usually symptoms of heart disease (increased respiratory rate,
coughing, exercise intolerance).
3) Infection of the spinal cord ( meningitis) could cause these symptoms.
 With the serious infection usually the WBC is elevated and the ferret should
have a fever.  With this possibility it may be warrented to consider broad
spectrum antibiotics.
4) Trauma.  Usually when trauma is the cause we can elicit pain on palpation
of the back.  There is usually some external evidence (bruising) and evidence
of swelling or displaced/fractured vertebra on the xrays.

If you have any other specific questions call or Email me.

Dr. Weiss
c [log in to unmask]
301-299-4142