Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 1999 04:50:34 -0700
Hi all.  I need some advice on this one.  I adopted a fuzzy about a month
ago from KiSta Ferret Rescue in NJ (Great People!!).  So, I couldn't get
this guy to eat.  He would only take Ferovite, and would only drink out of
my hand.  OK.  So I tried 5 kinds of ferret food and 2 kinds of cat food
with no luck.

So, I took him to the vet, and he was on Amoxicilin for 2 weeks, and I got
"AD" to feed him.  He woln't eat the AD voluntarily either, so he's force
fed by syringe 2-3 times a day.  He does drink from a bowl, not a bottle
now, but still no eating on his own

Well, I found that if I was eating something unhealthy, like nuts, or
chips, or a fortune cookie, this fuzzy would jump up and grab it, run away
and eat it.  The other day he ATTACKED my brother's bag of Fritos.  So last
night, when I came home with a burger and fries, he attacked the bag, and
munched down about 8 french fries.  OK, so I shouldn't have let him do it,
but at least he was eating.

So, now the lightbulb.  Dook is a junk-food junkie.  His previous owner
must have fed him junk food all of the time.  I never feed my fuzzies
garbage!  Only the best ferret chow and treats, plus my other guys don't
even like people food.  (The want to know what it is, but they have no
interest in eating it)

So here's my question....How do I break Dook of this junk-food habit and
get him back on the right foods?

If anyone has any ideas, please e-mail me at [log in to unmask]

Thanks so much for your help!

Tracy, Rocket J., Boo and Dook E. Ferret