From:
"Todd P. Cromwell III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 00:54:20 -0800
>I have stated this before and will again!  The only way to stop
>early neutering is to legislate it.  It would be great to have
>Federal Legislation

IMO, the last thing we need is yet more legislation governing every last
aspect of our lives.  Are you free or are you not free?  I think it is
possible to effect a change through attitude shift, in the same way that
people have become more interested in their health in the last two decades
(or at least they talk about it), or, in a negative way, the way that
rumours and sensationalism got people to think that ferrets are vicious
and dangerous.

If it gets out that enough ferret people are concerned about early spay and
neuter (even with no studies to prove there is a problem), then I believe
the market will respond.  If this happens, it may not be without some
negatives, however, like ferrets dying from anemia and people breeding them
to excess.

I meet tons of people while walking the ferrets, and if they are interested
I tell them that while there are no studies, I believe that early spay and
neuter is a problem.  So I spread my poisonous, misguided beliefs (including
the less controversial one that ferrets make great pets for some people!).

Todd Cromwell III, Dors and Seldon, WA State