From:
"Bruce H. Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 02:17:41 -0700
>Judy, from the Milwaukee Ferret Shelter (WI) asked me to ask all of you
>regarding diabetes (sp?) in ferrets.  They have a ferret there that has
>diabetes ... and she's never heard of that before in ferrets.

    Yes, I have seen about three cases in ferrets at necropsy.  I know,
also that Sue Morrow of Big Apple Ferrets just lost one to diabetes. Dr.
Susan Brown suggests that ferrets may also become diabetic following
insulioma removal, but that this is very uncommon.  She advocates treating
with insulin at published feline doses.  Please ask Judy (and her vet) to
give me a call - I would like to talk with them about possibly putting the
case in the Doctor-to-Doctor section of Modern Ferret magazine, as there
really is a dearth of information available on this condition.

>Also, I don't believe ferrets are susceptible to feline leukemia, but
>just to be on the safe side, am I correct in assuming this?

    You are correct - ferrets do not contract feline leukemia.  There is
no problem with ferrets in the house, but it is contagious to other cats.

Bruce H. Williams, DVM         Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath    Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Washington, D.C.  20306-6000