From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:28:22 -0500
>From:    Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Splenomegaly options?
>
>I have a rescue MF male, who's estimated age would bring him just about
>at four years old.  He has had an enlarged spleen that goes up and down.
>I've watched it for a year and my vet has watched it also.  Its been up
>very bad however in recent weeks (we had a flu go through the home last
>month).  He's been over any cold/flu symptoms... every one has been over
>it in fact for almost three weeks.  Yet his spleen is very large.  He
>seems almost bloated.  He is very sleepy, more sleepy even than before
>but otherwise no other symptoms.

Sounds like you need to do something.  Booger had an enlarged spleen for
years and it was uncomfortable for him so when he got insulinoma, I had
surgery done for both.

>Antibiotic therapy has never been attempted.  So, I was wondering, that
>even if he has no other symptoms or has had none in the past besides
>fatigue, would this be worth trying?

It's worth a try.  The spleen often swells and shrinks in response to
infection.  One infection that most ferrets have and which can effect the
spleen is helicobacter which can cause ulcers or just stay in the stomach
without showing obvious signs of ulcers.  I think I'd talk to my vet about
a 2 week course of Amoxi, Biaxin and Carafate and see if it improves.

>If extraction is necessary (boy and what decides that?), does a ferret
>truly go on afterwards like nothing has happened as I've read here before?

Booger was like a new ferret after his surgery, all full of piss and
vinegar and playhing with my younger two like he was a kit.  Since his
surgery he has gained a lot of weight, too.  I think that thing was just
crowding his abdomen and weighing him down.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if you have grease under your toenails.