Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 03 May 1993 18:50:10 -0500
Hi all,

  PHEW!  I just finished reading all of the archived messages of the FML,
and now I'm ready to subscribe.  I got interested in ferrets a few years
ago after reading about them on rec.pets in usenet.  Then I found out about
the FML list and archives.  Now I am reading as much as I can about ferrets
in anticipation of eventually acquiring a few.  I don't know when I will
get any because I can't afford a ferret environment setup right now, and
more importantly my girlfriend and I have guinea pigs, which I know don't
mix too well with ferrets.  If anybody has any experience with keeping
ferrets and cavies at the same time, I'd like to hear about it.
  Thank you all for the excellent information and thoughtful discussion
you've provided in the FML!  I hope I'll someday be able to contribute some
information of my own.  All I can contribute now is this possibly interesting
bit of fluff: a few months ago I asked my father (a PhD veterinary
microbiologist) what he knew about ferrets, and he said he had heard that
they bite all the time and that they have to be given live chicks for
food and that they don't make good pets.  He doesn't have any direct or
research experience with ferrets, but it's scary that this kind of
information gets passed around the veterinary community as "fact."  Extra
thanks to all of you who are working hard to get real information about
ferrets out to the general public.

Kirk; Red and Luxo Jr. (cavies); {this space reserved for ferrets}
uunet!telenet!penguin!kpearson or [log in to unmask] or

P.S. If anyone in the northern VA area (preferably near Sterling or Reston)
has some loaner ferrets (with cages and bowls, etc.) I could borrow for a
weekend or a week, please let me know.  Thanks!