From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 1996 11:18:39 -0600
The other day someone called to volunteer for whatever we needed for FFS.
Well what we really need is foster homes so Lynda doesn't have to take them
all and so I don't have to expose them.  After thinking about it for a few
days, this person called back to say fostering was not a good idea.  I was
told all about a club in Washington that does fun ferret events and got the
feeling that was the type of involvement this person wanted.  Unfortunately
this is not what we do.  FFS is an educational and informational domestic
ferret public service organization, rescue, and home for unwanted or ill
ferrets.  We take the ferrets no one wants or can't find homes for, ferrets
that have medical problems people can't afford to take care of, welfare
cases, abuse cases, behavorial cases, etc.  We find special homes for many
but others stay with us because of specialized care or treatment needed.  I
don't have time to coordinate "fun" activities.  I devote all my time to the
needs and wants of ferrets, not the wants of humans.  When I founded FFS it
was for ferrets and to this day it still is and always will be.  I don't
have time or funds to advertise, work on fund raising events, etc.  I don't
have time to recruit people to do this either.  FFS is a down to earth hands
on organization that is devoted to ALL ferrets.

While this person was not a member of the FML I felt the need to explain to
others what we do.  There is much more that we do, but this is what FFS is
all about - working for and helping ferrets that need us.

Speaking out - Please if you are ever in a situation that allows you the
opportunity to inform the uniformed speak up.  Case in point - a 10 month
old ferret being fed an adult store bought cat food (the Purina urinary low
pH food) because the husband is allergic and this is the only food that lets
him be around the ferret (yeah, right and I have some land for sale too...).
The person who found this out is a friend and wasn't quite sure how to
handle it.  So I will call and straighten this out but it is extremely
important for EVERYONE to speak out and up, tactfully and politely of
course, for the ferrets because in the end it is the ferret that will suffer
if we don't.

Again, Merry Christmas to all!  Hugs. tle