From:
A Blackley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:39:55 -0400
Hi all, I wanted to share a story of a ferret named Roxanne.

She was surrendered to Ferret Foster Care , August 21,2003.

She was found outside of a home, by two ladies, on their way into their
home.  Roxanne was hiding under their AC unit outside.  She was not using
her rear legs and when the ladies tried to pick her up, she bit them and
hissed.  They then trapped her into a carrier and brought her into their
home.  Then, they called a Vet. to find out what they should do with her.

They reached me the next morning and called to drop her off.  Well, when
she got here.  She was covered in fleas (I mean she was creepy crawly
with 'em!).  She hadn't eaten for a good long time, although the ladies
fed her some cat food, when they found her.  We then proceeded in bathing
her and defleaing this little one.  YUCK!!  She was anemic and dehydrated
and stunk to high heaven.  Honestly!  When we put her in the sink, the
water turned bright red!!

Two and a half hours later (with the ladies help) picking fleas off her
by hand and drowning the little buggers.  The ladies were wonderful!!
The bath finally over and the fleas gone.  We dried her off and she slept
for awhile.  I had already set a cage up for her, but before that, we
wanted to check her walking capabilities.  I put her on the floor and let
her go a few steps.  Sure enough there was an obvious fracture somewhere
in her pelvis.  I called the Vet. and the next morning, off we went.

At any rate, The Vet. had taken her into the exam room and found, not
only one fracture in her pelvis, but two more in her right rear leg.  The
leg breaks had been there long enough to fuse together.  There was no
treating them, but the pelvis will heal with time.  She also had anemia,
from the fleas and she was undernourished.  We were guessing she had been
out of a house for at least 2 weeks.  That's not the only issue, SHE
WASN'T SPAYED!!!  My Vet. couldn't believe it!  He called me and asked
if he should spay her, while she was out, since they didn't have to do
the leg surgery, there was plenty of time.  ABSOLUTELY

Now I know there are alot of you that deal with this everyday, but here
in NY, It's almost impossible to get your hands on an unaltered ferret.
So needless to say, The Vet. and I were amazed that someone.  Whom would
go to all that trouble to get an unaltered female, would let it
disappear.

The story thickens...

A few months ago.  The local paper had run a story of me and my ferrety
business.  We received an insane amount of phone calls from people,
asking to adopt and general questions about care, etc.  Luckily, I had
kept a log on the people that called and their addresses, for the ones
I sent informational material too.

I had received this call from a girl looking for an unaltered male,
during this time period.  I told her I couldn't help her and sent her
tons of information on how and why not to breed ferrets.  She then went
on to check every other shelter and foster in the WNY area.  I repeatedly
checked on her and asked if she spayed her female, To the point where I
was a nuisance.

Welp, with a little Sherlockdom, Guess where this little girl was found,
You guessed it!!  RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO THE HOUSE OF THE UNALTERED FEMALE
!!!  Thank God I kept those records!!

The first few days.  back from the Vet's.  were a little scary.  Roxxy
bit all the time, but you really can't blame her.  Between the pain and
the new house and just plain, not feeling well.

The ladies came back to visit her and cuddle her, before the one lady
went back to Florida.  Roxxy did really well!!  But everytime I would
get into the cage to clean it or feed her, the tail went up and she
would hiss and threaten to bite.  With a little time and Love, she's
coming around though.  Now she looks at me with Love and she loves to
give kisses, though with a few love bites, LOL.

She is well on her way to recovery.  She will never walk properly and
God knows how long she will be here with us.  But she is turning into
our special little girl with tons of love to give and get.

She is going back to the Vet's. today for her postop.  check up and the
remainder of her vaccines.  She is still on a one floor cage, but in
about 2 weeks, we can start physical therapy and she will finally be able
to walk a little, although she thinks she's ready to go now.  (G)

I'm not going to bash, although I want to!  I'll save that for my home.
I just wanted to tell you the story of little ferret that could and Did
beat the odds!!  She is an inspiration and gets my admiration everyday.
She is one amazing little girl!

The one other issue I wanted to discuss was donations.  How the heck do
shelters that take in rescues do it???  This little one was left here, by
her rescuers and they didn't even offer to help with the medical bills
and when I asked, I got "the check is in the mail" and "God Bless You"
and a few "your wonderful for doing this." BLAH!  But not a dime has come
in.  Although I was expected to spare no expense on saving this animal
and allow these women into my home to visit their little rescue.  It just
makes me wonder..  Everyone needs a blessing from God, But He doesn't pay
the bills.

OK I know it sounds like I'm whining, really I'm not!, I just don't
know how the rescues do it.  I started this business 3 years ago and I
wouldn't change anything!!  But already I'm about $3k in the hole and
I charge to place animals into homes, when I can and charge an adoption
fee that's fair.

I have the utmost respect and admiration for the people that have taken
in animals (sometimes 100's at a time) and managed to stay in business
as long as they have.

All I have to say is.  "This is one expensive hobby!" and YAY!! to the
shelter operators and owners that spend all their time, energy, and money
for these little ones!!

With Love and Admiration...
Angela
Ferret Foster Care