From:
Steven Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 21:15:11 EDT
Well, here's an interesting vet question.  My vet just gave me a call about
a ferret that seems to have come down with the green meanies.  The only
thing is that they can't figure out where she got it from.  According to the
owner, the ferret hasn't been exposed to any other ferrets.  Also, the owner
hasn't been near any other ferrets.

The only thing they can figure out is that the owner's boyfriend was at
Virginia beach recently running around and stuff.  About 2 weeks after he
came home, the ferret came down with the classic Green Meanies symptoms.  No
parasites were found in the stool and it looks like and smells like what ECE
is supposed to be.  After 3 or 4 days, the ferret is getting better and the
poops are starting to get solid.  The ferret lost about 1/2 lb over the
course of this bout.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?  Could somehow the dog have picked
up something and brought it home that would be like ECE?  Personally, I
think she or her boyfriend went to a pet store or something and either
doesn't remember or isn't fessing up but we (my vet and I) are wondering if
something else is possible.

Thanks for any info you can give.

Steven