From:
Kerry and Jeremy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 21:41:49 -0500
Our baby girl 4month old Ripley, a female chocolate mitt was acting goofy
yesterday and so we were playing with her belly., to her mondo enjoyment.
We noticed a little discharge from her vaginal area and took a closer look,
she was different looking than the other ferrets.  She seemed to have no
vulva.

Off to the vet we went today, and she (the vet) seemed astounded by what
she saw.  She really just has a hole to pee from, which the doctor said is
fine with a minor inflammation..  X-rays were done and all her organs
seemed fine and formed, but no vulva.  The vet said ther are two options,
there was a lack of hormones while she was in uterus and none was formed or
it is inverted.  She said we could have her catherterized and air blown
into her belly, so that they could get a better look and to confirm which
of the suggestions had occured, but even then nothing could be done
anyways, we would simply all know what was wrong with her.

Since, she would have to go under anasthetic for the catheter I feel it is
unnecessary, since nothing will be done anyways, and it is not really a
danger to her in any way.

Has anyone experienced a ferret with no sexual organs??And do you think
putting her through the catheter is necessary?  I'm just looking for
feedback on this issue as I am not yet decided.  My vet is talking to
other vets about this issue, and we will touch base once the
infection/inflammation has cleared up.  Your adivce and opinions are
appreciated.

Kerry and the fantastic five fluffy frenetic fuzzies