From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:54:17 -0500
>2. The magazine apparently has to be put on hold until money is accrued.
>Help Mary find a job that has full medical benefits.  You guys know her.
>What does she do?  Assistant editor somewhere?  I had no idea neither
>worked or purchased group or individual medical insurance-IF I understood
>that correctly.

I found that either needlessly cold, or quite naive, or confused -- not
sure how to read it.  The reality of life is that many companies refuse
to cover dependents with serious medical conditions.  Eric has been very
ill, and often in the hospital, though he is luckier than some since his
specific problem too often kills people.  We have a friend here who had
colon cancer caught early and removed last year and we live in a
(different) pre-existing-conditions state but he has recently been told
that means that he needs to have TWENTY YEARS free of this to be
re-considered for insurance.  We'd though that it was 5 (despite and due
to the re-assuring but somewhat misleading words about pre-existing
conditions), but no... The chances are very large that they simply will
not be able to find insurance coverage for boht of them, though they
might get lucky that way and I sure do hope that they do.  Sometimes
there is federal medical insurance when they finally accept that someone
is disabled, but that can be very hard to get.  Other folks here know a
welath of knowledge more about that than I do since some here have it.
Have heard a lot of stories from folks thorugh the decades of the years
BETWEEN being unable to bring in enough income and finally qualifyng as
disabled.  Had a friend have to leave college to support her parents due
to this years back...