From:
"Lange, Sandra SJ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 14:21:22 +1100
I must have left the door open when I went to work Tuesday morning; I was
slightly distracted by some other (happy) issues and the door is sticky at
the moment due to the house moving in this weather.  When I get home after
work, my next-door neighbour (who has met me and the ferrets before)
brings me Clover and tells me that the two ferret girls had been playing
in backyards and other houses all day.  One woman had chased them out
with a broom.  Another very pregnant lady was quite astonished to find
them in her lounge.

I couldn't find Princess last night, despite lots of squeaks and much door
knocking.  My housemate was pretty devastated too.  I slept in the sunroom
so that I would be able to see the backyard first thing in the morning.
It was rather disconcerting to wake from a dream, where I was in happy
tears because Princess had been found running around inside my house,
when she was still missing.

We did a door knock/mail drop around the block Wednesday morning.  ( I
had to be at work for a meeting first thing, but went home after that).
I decided to do one final attempt with the sqeaky mouse in the back yard.
Just as I decided that I had to give up and go back to work, I turn
around, and there she is. :)

So, I am much relieved, and must now take her for a proper walk around
the block this evening, letting people know that she has been found.  I
was pleasantly surprised by the concern of people and their willingness
to let me squeak in their backyards. :)

Two funny moments out of this unwelcome escapade:

Clover was so exhausted last night, that when I went to check on her, she
snuggled her nose in tighter just like a little kid, all whiny and grumpy
about being woken up.

I had raided Princess's stash of toy mice to get another squeaky one.
When I brought Princess inside, and attempted to give her a treat of
ferretone, she had no interest in the ferretone, or food, or water, until
her stash had been put back!

Some thoughts:

I keep a squeaky mouse permanently by the microwave, so I always know
where one is.

Although my friend was quite delighted to help in scanning some ferret
photos for notices, most people would probably prefer to do this before
they are needed, and not at midnight.

It would have been a good idea to have mentioned that I had pet ferrets
to the old lady neighbour, some time in the various conversations that we
have had over the backfence.  She might then not have swept them out of
her kitchen.

Sandra-still wound up,
Clover-"Go away, I want to sleep",
Princess-"Why are my babies here!!", and
Gemma the cat who wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

PS - I got to meet lots of neighbours, but I don't recommend this method
of introductions.

PPS - My paranoia about doors has been told not to have another holiday.