From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:27:09 -0400
Adrenal related dysuria: this is an IMMEDIATE MUST READ (in full):
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/prostate.txt

(It doesn't take much fur loss for an adrenal to be large -- certainly
half the fur lost is NOT good.  If not urinating then you must be taught
to express the bladder and the ferret may need a draining by vet using a
syringe.  Dysuria due to adrenal growths can be avoided by having timely
adrenal surgery.  When that isn't possible for whatever reason then read
u p on Propecia/Proscar and other medication choices in the above
resource.)

Also MUST-DO for this one: blood glucose (in house without fasting to get
immediate results if possible), complete CBC with Blood Chemistry Panel.

For more info: see the Critical Refs at http://www.ferretcongress.org
and use those links.  These are great for finding health info, getting
poisoning info, finding vets who know ferrets, learning political things
related to ferrets, etc.

It appears that EVERYTHING that you have mentioned -- unless there is a
surprise hidden -- is TREATABLE with surgeries and meds.  A mercy shot is
treatment only when you KNOW that all else has been tired and no longer
works or applies.  Then it is the final gift.  It's not an alternative to
treatment.

Maggie, there are a PILE of studies on scent detection out there going
back some time and by a range of people.  If I recall right there is good
bibliography on this attached to one of the Theirry Lode articles at his
website, but I may be thinking of a different researcher's website or
something else I read.  I'm pretty sleep deprived right now, Anyway, use
the bibliographies of the TL papers as a starting point and flare out
from there..  Yes, the olfactory bulbs on ferrets are huge (I think that
they may be a bit larger in polecats but not sure).  There is a big
difference between having large sinuses which can reflect other things
like needing to warm air well for lung protection in cold areas, and
having huge olfactory bulbs at the brain.  The function of olfactory
bulbs is well, well, well documented and they are very easily visualized
compared to many other brain areas.  Ferrets have massive areas devoted
to the olfactory bulbs and hence to the interpretation and awareness of
smells.  I had brain anatomy as part of gross anatomy, using the Maynard
Dewey dissector specifically written on the topic.  Of course, that was
over 20 years ago... If you want to learn more on this topic I suggest
that you also read up on the olfactory bulbs of the brain.

Arnold Schwarzenegger WORKED with a set of ferrets for that movie, but I
have not yet read anything that indicates that he actually has OWNED any
ferrets.  Of course, that may be mote *IF* working with ferrets gave him
an appreciation of them.  It would make a good interview question for
the man...