From:
Sandy DeBout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:00:53 PDT
I have been on the FML for a few months now but this is my first posting so
bear with me.  I will start with a short introduction.  I was first
introduced to Ferrets on vacation in Feb 1995.  I am from Roch N.Y and my
then husband & I were in Florida visiting friends.  I saw a gentleman at a
park in Florida with 4 of these critters in a bike basket riding them
around.  I stopped him and asked so many questions that he was getting
annoyed.  My next stop was a pet shop to ask more questions and to buy a
book so I could read up before I got home.

When I got home, I bought more books and visited more pet shops and at one
shop I found litature about a Ferret Club called WNYFLFA (Western New York &
Finger Lakes Ferret Assocation).  I contacted the Shelter Director, Eva
Martin at the time, and she introduced me to some of the shelter Ferrets.
Well, to make a long story short, I got me license and and my first ferrets.
I agreed to buy 2 but Eva asked if I would take the 3rd because it had been
caged with the 2 I wanted and that I would be lonely.  Well of course I
agreed to take it.  I could see that Ferret-math was already starting on me.

I joined the club because I wanted to learn as much as possible about these
little critters.  The President of the club Debbie Riccio spent countless
hours explaining stuff to me about the critters (referred to now as my kids)
and about the club and about all the great thing they do.  As you can
imagine I got more involved and in a short time became the Treasurer which
is a position I still hold.

I also Foster some of the Shelter Ferrets to help out our Shelter Director,
Laura Martino.  I took in my first 2 foster kids in Dec 1995.  That is the
same month that my husband left which left a void which I quickly filled
with 2 more Ferrets.  These 2 new additions were from a relative of a
neighbor that no longer had time for them.  Ferret-math really working now.
In March of 1996, we found a home for the 2 Shelter Ferrets so I replaced
them with 2 more Shelter Ferrets.  I am used to having 7 so why not.  I was
approched by the neighbor kids who have 2 lovely Ferret and they asked if I
could take their's because they no longer have time for them.  But of
course.  One more Ferret?  No problem.  Ferret- Math at work again.  I now
am owned by 9 of these lovely critters and I love every minute of it.

Oh, by the way, I have a SO who thinks my kids are OK.  He is not as devoted
as I am to them but if it makes me happy, it's Ok with him.  I also have 2
dogs (female Schipperke and male Chinese Crested) and 3 cats.  I would most
likely give up my SO before I gave up even one of my critters.

I have a 3 story condo that I keep all 9 of the kids in and with 4 double
hammocks, there is pleanty of room.  I use the top shelf for feeding and the
floor has 3 litter pans.  I have hanging water bottles on every layer so
they can drink at any level.

Sorry this intorduction got so long but I wanted to provide some background.
I love reading the FML..it is very informative and helpful Keep up the good
work.  Sandy