From:
Michaela Maurice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 18:18:14 -0700
Hello all,
Bugsy had a good result on his fasting blood glucose and Dr. Williams told
me that some of his ferrets lose up to 40 % of their body weight during the
summer.  I have also been told by experienced ferret owners and shelter
operators that ferrets don't necessarily lose the same amount of weight each
year, nor do they lose it at the same time of year.  So, for now, Dr.
Williams has suggested I keep up the 'fattening' and just keep my eyes open
for any new symptoms.

To all the wonderful people who wrote in with their personal 'duck soup'
recipes, a BIG THANK YOU.  I did find a good combinations for BUGSY and he
loves it, (even slipped some baby meat food in there and he normally HATES
the stuff).  I think I missed a personal thank you to someone (had a mini
'puter crash and don't know if a reply got deleted) so if you are out there,
THANK YOU TOO.

VET Question:
I work with a vet and know about treating abscesses on cats and dogs, but am
wondering if ferrets are treated similarly: is a drain necessary?  (ie: can
I do it on my own by just pricking and squeezing) , what oral antibiotics
should a ferret be given, is neosporin or polysporin (topical) okay for a
ferret, do they ever go away on their own?  (I know they don't with humans
and cats), and anything else you can think of I should know/missed.

ps.  I am 99% sure it's an absess but realize that the only way to be sure
is either by opening up (or by ultrasound--which is too expensive to do).
(email to FML and/or to [log in to unmask])

HOMING in DESCENTED ferrets

People have speculated that scent glands are necessary for homing.  NOT
true.  AT least it's not necessary from my experience.  Bugsy, who is my
oldest and has been on more walks than any of my others, is a neutered and
descented ferret.  Whenever we go out, if he's not in the mood anymore, he
literally drags me all the way home right to the elevator door (outside
elevator shaft) and seems to know just when we've hit the 4th floor where I
live.  He literally sits still in a corner till the elevator is nearing the
right floor and then runs to where the elevator opens.  As soon as it opens,
he runs right to my front door.

At the moment, it seems that one of my new adoptees who is also descented
and has only been out on a few walks also knows his way home.  Last time we
went out, he literally ran home.  I think he noticed a slight drizzle before
I did and wanted to get indoors.

So, I think that while the poofing may help, their sensitivity to and
familiarity with other smells in the neighborhood may be more of a
contributing factor than their scent glands.  (Bugsy has been in this apt
from the time I got him and he was a lone ferret for a year and a half and
got lots and lots of daily walks).

                       May your houses dook-dook forever and ever,

                                     Michaela Maurice