From:
"Ferret Rescue&Education Society (FRES)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:57:47 -0700
What a weekend!!!  FRES attended the third annual Pet Expo in Calgary AB,
Canada.  We were able to reach out to thousands of people spreading the
word on ferret care and nutrition, as well as ferrets in general.  Over
the two days we were able to highlight the ferrets we have for adoption
complete several pre-screens and discussed in-home assessments and
adoptions with many people.  Our highlighted ferrets included Mason - the
ferret that was rescued weighing 1.36 pounds only 2 = weeks ago.  (Side
note for those who read Mason's story - Mason has been steadily gaining
weight and is now 2.6 pounds.  He has lost much of the yellow coloring in
his fur and is a very happy little man as he may have found himself a new
home).

We were asked to host two seminars during the show on common myths about
ferrets; is a ferret right for you and ferret medical issues.  Person by
person we are starting to dissolve the "bad" name all too often given to
our little fuzzies.

With a ferret playground in the center of our booth it drew in the crowds
and kept the ferrets busy, busy, busy and happy with all of the hands on
attention.  The area was often filled to capacity with the guests that
wanted to see, touch or for some learn more about ferrets.  There were
times when it looked like a traffic jam in front of the booth area with
so many people wanting to at the very least catch a glimpse of a ferret
as they had never seen one before.

Do you all remember Kako - the ferret who lost his eye to glaucoma?  Kako
was the mascot for our ferret "Fund-o-Meter", a new and very successful
addition to our booth;( Side note: he is recovering well from his eye
removal surgery).  As he "strutted" around the exhibit he drew in many
questions and war danced his way into many hearts and their pockets.

On behalf of FRES we would like to thank all of over 30 volunteers for
giving up their weekend to come to and help out at the event.  We would
also like to thank all of the businesses that helped with our door
prizes, raffle prize, and for the person who won the 50/50 draw and
donated it back to our ferrets.

Once again thanks to everyone who helped out and now the ferrets are all
tucked in their beds sound asleep and let me tell you, we are not far
behind!

Lorene Kimura
FRES Representative