From:
Andrew Bienhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:15:37 -0400
>My BEW female is loosing her hair on her tail.  She has much less than
>half of what its always been.  Can anyone tell me what this is and what's
>causing it?

I replied to yours privately, but then there was another post, so I thought
I would share some success I have had in the past.

If you want to have your pet tested for Adrenal, go right ahead.

But, if you have ruled that out, or don't think they have any other signs
and have just got a balding tail, here's what I have done in the past, with
success.  I also have a young girl right now, with the same problem, who is
being treated this way.

The tail looks rat-like.  Most have seen this before.

Starts as a thinning or dark-coloured tail, for lighter-furred animals.

Many have said that it's overactive oil in their skin, and it happens in
the summer.  This coincides with all cases I have seen under my roof.

So, clean the tail up, using something decent, but not too strong.  Some
have suggested Stridex pads, but since I don't even know what those are,
I won't comment. :)

The key I have found, as with many skin related problems, is to apply
Vitamin E to the affected area after the cleaning, and on a regular basis.
(I do it once a day) Vitamin E is fantastic in helping skin tissue
regenerate, whether on human or ferret. :)

On my older cases, the one had all hair return and tail returned to normal,
the other had no more hair loss, but really never had that much grow back.
The tail remained a heathly pink colour after that though... :)

Andrew