From:
Keith Bedard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 1996 23:12:00 -0400
Hi everyone,

>We've noticed a strange behavior in our ferret, and were wondering if this
>was a typical ferret act or just our fuzzy being cute.  Frequently, when he
>is at his water dish, he'll splash some water around, kind of kicking it
>back towards his body

Tabitha used to do this her water dish too.  I decided to experiment a
little and I took her cat litter box (she wasn't doing anything but throwing
the litter around anyway) and I converted it to a swimming pool.  Usually,
all she does is use it as an oversized water dish but when it's warm, she'll
dip her head and neck in and often she'll get into the pool completely.
Often, she'll put her head completely under water and then she'll blow
bubbles through her nose.  Are there any others out there who's ferts do
this?  I think it's so cute!

Not only is it a great way for her to cool off on a hot summer day but it
seemed to reduce her fear of baths to a certain extent.  She still hates the
shampoo though!  Also, since she takes a dip every now and again, it helps
keep her cleaner without my having to give her a bath as often.  As many
have experienced, frequent baths can not only dry out the coat but make the
musk scent worse with each bath.  Water alone won't wash out the oils her
body produces but it'll help keep dirt off her fur.  Since I clean her cage
at least twice a day, she's virtually odorless except for her occasional
poofing.  Maybe the swimming pool idea will help out someone who has smelly
ferret problems.  Let me know if it does.  Just remember to dry her off
right away if she doesn't do it herself so that she doesn't catch a chill.
Tabitha only swims during warm weather though.

By the way, are there any FML members here in the Montreal area who know
about local events, shelters, etc.?  I'd love to hear from you!

Keith, Tabitha's pet human and servant

Keith:  OUCH!!
Tabitha:  How dare you block off the hole I made in the couch!?!?