From:
Judy Cooke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:50:51 -0700
Spring is here.  It's the time of year when new life is beginning all
around us.  Flowers are blooming, birds are nesting and unfortunately,
people are breeding ferrets who shouldn't be.  In a perfect world, this
wouldn't happen - but again, unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world.
And it's always the ferrets that suffer!

Support Our Shelters is again calling for help.  In the last couple
months, we have quickly and quietly worked on several large scale
rescues.  These rescues have taken much of our reserves.  Usually, we
have time between large rescues to try to replenish our funds, but that's
not the case.  There are more rescues in progress.  One is a breeder
rescue, and due to the circumstances of the case, it is being handled as
quietly as possible.  For now, it would do more harm than good to have
the details of these rescues spilled out onto the FML.

But even though the rescues are being done quietly, they are still being
done - and funds are desperately needed.  I urge you to visit the SOS
'You can help' Page at:

  http://www.supportourshelters.org/ucanhelp.html

There are a variety of ways for you to help SOS and they are all listed
on this one page!  One of the special ways you can help is the Memorial
Page.  This page is extra-special to me as I just had to place Einstein's
name beside Tyson's.  Tyson and Einstein are both gone now and while
nothing can take away that pain, I know the money that was donated to SOS
in their names will go to help a needy ferret.  Is there a better way to
honor the memory of a beloved ferret?  To me, the answer to that is no -
helping a rescue/shelter ferret is the greatest way I know to pay tribute
to the two precious, precious creatures that filled my life with joy for
the last 7 years.

There is also the Buck-a-Month Club.  One dollar a month is all it takes
to join this club.  Your one dollar, added to the dollar of another
person and another person and the next thing you know, we have a nice
little sum of money!  It's quick and easy and absolutely painless!  And
the best thing of all is your name will be placed beside the names of
other wonderful FML'ers who have joined this club, too!  Feel free to
send more than a buck!

And speaking of clubs.....getting pooped on has never been so much fun!
The Petey TPO Club is new and memberships in the unique club are going
fast.  And the greatest thing of all is you don't have to have been
pooped on!  Everyone is invited to join this club and the people who
sign up first will be placed into a drawing for a chance to win a lucky
'ferret poo' paper weight!  But to be entered into the drawing, you must
join the club by the end of April!!

Another very special project to me is the SOS Charms program.  This was
started because each and every day we see and hear about someone doing
something special for someone else.  I know during the last 7 years that
I have been involved with the ferret community, I have seen over and over
the goodness and generosity of many of the people on this list!  I have
said 'thank-you' many, many times - but so often, those simple words fell
way short of the feelings these wonderful people inspired in me.  Yes....
we have bickering....we have disagreements, discussions, and debates, but
behind all that are the most caring, most loving and most generous people
in the world.  The Charms program is a way to thank someone who has done
something special for you.  We started with Angels...and now have
Lifesavers!  For just a small donation, you can let someone know how much
you appreciate them!

There are so many ways you can help SOS.  Won't you please check out this
page and see if you can help?

  http://www.supportourshelters.org/ucanhelp.html

If nothing there interests you, we take straight donations, too!  Every
single dollar you donate is appreciated by each and every one of us here
at SOS.

If you made it this far, THANK YOU for taking the time to read this!

Judy Cooke
Vice-President
Support Our Shelters