From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 03:16:33 -0500
Once again for all who missed the meaning of a repeated statement:

Ferret proofing a vehicle can be done, but it takes some doing:
This means checking for all possible hazards your ferret might encounter
in a vehicle.

You'll have to learn to drive with one foot under the brake and clutch
pedals so that you'll know when something fuzzy tries to get there, so you
can scoot him out of the way.  NEVER reach down to get your fuzzy from the
floor while driving.  Pull over and stop!  It's a compromise YOU must make
if your ferret is loose in the car.  The ferret will NOT learn to stay out
of the driver's floorboard!

This means exactly what it says.  Pull over and stop to attend to a ferret,
just as you would (I should hope) a child.  In my experience it is possible
to detect a ferret approaching the pedals and sliding it out of the way
without distraction.  I would think it should be a no-brainer to figure out
that repeated "scoots" in traffic requiring repeated brake or clutch use
would be sufficient indication of a need to pull over and stop (there's
that phrase again).

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home