From:
Urs Murbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 17:49:27 +0100
Hello Ferretlovers,

Swiss Fancy Ferret Society

Ferrets have been kept for decades in Switzerland, mainly by farmers and
gamekeepers.  It is unclear for what reason, as hunting with ferrets has
never been common here, and certainly isn't today.  In the past few years
ferrets have become more popular as pets, but are still rare in Switzerland.

The Swiss Federal Act for Protection of Animals is quite advanced and
strict.  This is especially true for wild animals and consequently for the
family of mustelids.  Little difference is made between polecats and
ferrets.  A permission from the Federal Veterinary Office is needed to
import, export or to keep a ferret in captivity.  The statutory requirements
include a minimum cage size of two square meters for two animals, nutrition
recommendations and the keeping livestock statistics.  Number of animals on
the premises, cause of death and name and address of buyer or seller have to
be recorded.  It is not allowed to sell ferrets to anybody without
permission.  The district veterinarian inspects the animals and their
housing on a regu lar basis.  The permission depends on his report, and must
be renewed every second year.

I run an organisation, the Swiss Fancy Ferret Society, similar to ferret
clubs abroad.  The main purpose of the society is the general wellbeing,
suitable nutrition and medical care of ferrets.  We have no shelters or
ferret rescue organisations here.  The S.F.F.S.  does not promote the ferret
as an companion animal, but offers any possible help and advice to breeders,
pet owners and veterinary surgeons, at no cost.

Ferrets are still exotic animals to the public, but also to most veterinary
surgeons.  We do have some highly qualified veterinarians spezialized in zoo
animals, but the local vet is naturally the one to see, if help is needed.
The right medical attention and medication for ferrets are not always known.

The main reasons to seek medical care for ferrets are unmated jills with the
related problems and un suitable nutrition, next to the common illnesses.
Some jills do die of aplastic anaemia, but the diagnosis is often not
correct.  A SFFS Vet leaflet for the veterinarian helped a lot and was quite
a success.  It covers in short inoculation, estrouscontrol, castration,
anesthesia and biological- physiological- and haematological data of the
ferret.  I receive many calls during the year, from practitioners asking for
medical advice and for more information on ferrets.

Visit my Weasel-Box http://www.agri.ch/swissferret.

I am doing some work on the hole mustelidea family, mouseweasel to
wolverine.  But I am still looking for pictures for my pages, I have the
stoat, ferret and otter so far.  If you have sources (gif; jpg), let me
know, I would be very grateful.

Swiss Fancy Ferret Society  (S.F.F.S.)
Urs P. Murbach
Hardstrasse 41