From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 01:19:06 -0400
>I have 2 ferrets that are now about 8 months old and have been having
>problems with their stool since they were 2 months.  I have gone to 2
>different vets and the problem still is not gone.  I just read the
>article in the Ferret magazine about IBD and I am wondering if that is
>what they have.  Their symptoms are stools that are loose, sometimes
>green slime, and very grainy (birdseed like) We have tried medicine to
>get rid of worms... they don't have worms.  They have been on flagyl
>forever, we tried antibiotics, and now they are also using chloramphenicol
>tablets.  Is there any suggestions to what this is so I can tell the vet?

Dear Y:

The first question is whether these are your only ferrets, or if you have
others.  IBD as a result of ECE is certainly a possibility here, but it
is difficult to assess.  Indeed, after six months of trial and error,
surgical biopsy should at least be a consideration.

The persistent use of antibiotics without definite indication is probably
not a good idea.  Any antibiotic forever, or chloramphenicol - another
antibiotic with a very limited indication in ferrets - is not a good way
to try to handle chronic diarrhea, and may actually obscure diagnostic
features of the disease.

I would also ask if you have tried modifying the ferrets diet.  Ferret
with chronic diarrhea, IBD or not, often have severe trouble digesting
kibble and we need to provide a bland, easily digested diet for them.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM