From:
Gail Elsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:49:19 -0400
I spent 3 full days working with the Hagerstown rescues!

Rocky's got all the breeders triaged, filed, and clean.  Also did
parasite meds, redid marks, and got everyone organized.  Got the first
10 alters in yesterday.  Also watched Barb deal with other surrenders,
and her own shelter ferrets.  Amazing.

The breeders are calming down wonderfully and there are tons of beautiful
ferrets learning how to play.

Because the first group got to get fixed, I was lucky enough to be able
to take home a couple older ferrets!

I was blessed and got to take home a wonderful marked white girl named
Princess Fairy.  She is now called Rune.  She is 7+ and a love!  Her
whole life was spent producing kits and, well, she was not fixed and at
least 7, so the poor wee one was nothing but a baby machine.  So, my
little girl is happy to never have to produce kits again :).  Her new job
is to learn how to play and have fun.  And not pull stitches.  Her book
name was Princess Fairy, but I believe she was called Munchkin or Daisy
Jane in the pics.

I also "stole" a big ex-hob named "D." Big, fluffy, 5-6+ boy.  He talked
the entire way home.  My goodness, he stole my heart with that first
lunge for the face.  BTW, the lunge ended in some massive crying.  He
was tickling my tonsils with that tongue :)  Boy oh boy is his tongue
long and can he kiss.  Sloppy wet kisses form chin to forehead :)

All I can say is that these ex-breeders are all going to be fixed,
rehabbed, and are going to be placed only when that is done.  They will
never, ever have to deal with breeding hormones and issues again.  I
can't wait to see these hobs learn that other ferrets can be fun.  I
can't wait to see the jills learn that there is life outside the nest
box.  And the 4 month old babies are going to have the chance to be
babies a while longer :)

I am lucky.  I got to help the shelter, clean, play with over 100
ferrets, and then leave.  I am the lucky one.  I can swoop in, pretend to
really help out, but it is the shelter angels who are there daily doing
the grunt work.  The honeymoon is about to be over.  People forget that
this is a long term operation.  Just because they are at a shelter
doesn't mean the volunteers need to stop.  Barb needs them more than
ever.  If you can scoop poop, fill bowl, fill water, or play with
ferrets, you can volunteer!  Gail

"Help the Helpless"
Exotic rescue, rehab and placement
http://www.scalesandtails.org
Reptiles and ferrets...we need your help!