Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:41:49 -0600
I would like to start today compiling the reasons why people have had to
surrender their ferrets.  I have to start somewhere, and this list seems
the best place to start.

I will not be making judgment.  It is a place for me to start to find
solutions.  If you could write to me and explain as briefly as possible,
the reasons you had to surrender one or more of your ferrets, part of a
group, or the whole group, I can start to compile a database of information
that can hopefully lead to having less abandoned and more staying in happy
homes.

If your reason for surrendering your ferret had to do with a job promotion,
it would help a great deal if you were to include what field you work in.

If the reason was financial (in that you could not afford medical care)
try to give an estimation, or give the actual cost (if you know it) of
the treatment.  List as well the illness that would need attention.  i.e.
adrenal surgery: $350 cancer surgery: $1200   Please include if your vet
offers a payment plan or not, or if the ferret was under some medical
insurance plan.

For other reasons, please try to include information that you feel is
pertinent to the situation.

I would also like to know if you know of others that have had to, and
their reasons as well.  I need this info to come from as many sources as
possible.  If the info is coming from a shelter, a breeder, or from a
private source, please let me know which.

Make your "Subject Reply: Reason for Surrender" and follow it with
either "Shelter" or "Personal" or "Breeder".  i.e. Reason for Surrender:
Personal.  If you think I have left out a category, please feel free to
make your own.  I left out Vets because I feel they end up turning them
into the nearest shelter, but I could be wrong.

I have some replies already but need a whole lot more.  This information
will take some time to compile.  When I have a what looks like a good
sampling of reasons, I will be posting them to the FML.  Then the next
step will be to try to come up with alternative solutions to surrender,
if it is possible.

We have to be able to understand the reasons why people do what they do,
and then try to deal with the aftermath in such a way that everyone can
come out a winner.  We have to start somewhere, so let's start now.

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets...