From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 21:48:25 -0700
>    I'm wondering because one of the two pet stores near me that carry
>ferrets said that they got them from Canada, (even though Path Valley is
>just a WEE BIT closer to Philadelphia- go figure.)
>    Does anyone know anything about a big ferret farm in Canada? ...
>Jen

        Repeatedly, here in Vancouver, the pet stores get in ferrets that
are apparently from Haagen ferrets and they have "H"'s tattooed in their
ears (and sometimes an "x" or a "y" in the other ear, but not always).  As I
understand, Haagen is in Ontario, but please don't quote me on this, I am
only going on what I have heard.  No pet store will confirm this for me.
        All the Haagen ferrets I know of seem to be pretty well genetically
healthy, or at least normal in the ferrety scope of things.  I haven't heard
of any really bad reports aside from your standard complaints about routine
ferret diseases.  Also, they all seem to have lovely temperments.
        There are also a large number of ferrets coming in from Alberta and
I recently got a kit (the amazing MILO) that apparently came from
Manitoba...he has an "X" tattooed in his ear but no "H" so he isn't Haagen.
        I know of a relatively small scale breeder here on the West Coast
and he apparently breeds exotics, but they are expensive, starting at around
$125.00 including nothing.
        If you find out anything else, please let me know too!!  I am
curious to know where these ferrets are actually coming from...
------
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
------