From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:26:26 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know of our summer raffle.  Pablo wanted to do
this raffle to help the ferrets in the shelter that need medical care.
you can read his story on the raffle page, Pablo is a very special boy.

Our shelter in is in dire need of help right now, and I don't like asking
for help knowing there are other shelters in need just as much as we are,
so we are hoping to raise funds with this raffle, with all proceeds going
to our vet bill, which is really really bad right now.  I want to update
you guys a little on whats going on here.  We have taken in 209 ferrets
so far this year, adopted out 132.  Right now we have 98 ferrets in the
shelter and 46 in foster homes.  The shelter is responsible for all the
vet bills of the foster ferrets as well as what is in the shelter.  Most
of the ferrets we have are older medically challenged ferrets, we do have
adoptables just waiting for a home.  Two weeks ago we did a surgery on a
ferret that came in named Bria.  She came in with gloves, a biter we were
told.  I knew she had something medically wrong with her, that she didn't
feel good.  We did surgery and she had a botched spay, and had stump
pyometra, and adrenal dz.  After 2 1/2 hours of surgery and taking 10
cc's of green infected pus out of her, she is doing better.  But the
biopsy showed possilbe cancer.  So she is a resident here.  She will
bite you if she doesn't know you but has seemed to accept my son and
myself, at least for now.

Muzzy came to me 2 weeks ago in a group of 11 ferrets, most healthy, but
2 adrenal ferrets and one with a tail tumor (being removed today).  Muzzy
is about 6-7 months old and had a swollen vulva, I was thinking she was
to young for adrenal dz but we opted for surgery to see what was going
on.  Dr K did her surgery on Tuesday, not wanting to wait, good thing she
did.  Muzzy was going in to heat, she had a botched spay, they only took
out 1/2 of her "parts", leaving the right side in.  This caused a cyst,
a big one to form on her ovary and she started a heat cycle.  Her left
adrenal was slightly enlarged and was removed also.  she will be home
tomorrow and this very beautiful panda girl and her sister Fairy will be
needing a home as soon as muzzy is up to it.  Also today Zeus, is having
surgery on his left ear, he developed tumors on the ear and will most
likley lose most or all of his ear.

These surgeries are the tip of the iceburg.

Losing our Ac was hard enough but things just keep piling up.  Many
ferrets are comming in from California, thats another drama.  I'm putting
ferrets on waiting list, rehoming them so they don't have to come here,
but sometimes that can not be avoided.

So now I'm asking for help, please look at our raffle, if you can't buy
any tickets, please pass it along to other groups and any ferret people
you know.

Thank you for all of your time,
CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter