From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:34:38 -0500
A ferret with adrenal complications in Issue 16:

 Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:33:15 -0000
 From: "Dr. Bruce Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: Intro and dilemma

I'm going to agree with XXXXX on Kif.  Difficulty urinating can be a
significant and urgent problems in male ferrets with adrenal disease.
In a small percentage of adrenal cases, the estrogens liberated by the
adrenal glands result in cystic enlargement of the prostate, which
eventually swells to the point where it closes off the urethra.  These
animals can't pee on their own, but you can easily empty the bladder by
squeezing it.

Total blockage of the bladder can result in death in as little as 48
hours, so we take it seriously.  Foul breath can occur as toxins build
up in the body in such cases, but they appear to do this far less in
ferrets than in cats and dogs.  While the breath may represent
something as minor as gum disease, we generally rule out severe life-
threatening illnesses first.

This is one for a quick vet visit.  A blood chemistry panel and a good
physical exam will give us all of the information we need on urinary
function and patency of the urinary tract.

Trevor is a bit more difficult to assess in this venue, because the signs
are pretty tenuous.  Ferrets with high temperatures often turn bright red
to pink on the nose, gums, and forepaws, as blood vessels dilate to try to
liberate heat.  You can also see a profound color change when animals go
into shock as well, as blood is poorly pumped throughout the body,and the
animal's blood is poorly oxygenated (called cyanosis.) However, cyansosis
usually is a severe sign and animals don't pull out of it without some
help.

While laundry detergent is not a good thing for the ferret to be licking,
it is likely not a significant cause of toxicity.  But let's lock it up
anyway.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM

Join the Ferret Health List at