From:
ferretdamce83 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:13:24 -0400
Quite a few FMLers have discussed how they use their ferrets as therapy
animals in nursing homes. Many have also mentioned how some more
people-oriented ferrets are quick to notice when a person needs a bit
of pick-me-up. Surprising to some, but not to all, ferrets can do more
in the field of service animals.

I am almost completely blind. I used to have a guide dog, but she was
retired due to cancer. The lifestyle I have now is not one that would
require a new gide dog. I have developed fibromyalgia (similar to
chronic pain) and some nueropathy (my muscles don't always do what
I tell them), as well as other medical conditions that make me a
homebody. A guide dog is for those that are active, needing to leave
their home every day and travel some distance. If I do go somewhere,
I've got to be with someone that can help if I fall, become
disoriented, experience a sudden migraine, or have other immediate
health issues.

Still, I can get around our rural apartment complex fine, and that
gives me a chance to get some fresh air. I started walking my current
batch of ferrets just after the first pair arrived in March. Rhys and
Frost showed a greater willingness to learn than all but one other
ferret I've had, so I thought I'd try to teach them to heel.
Surprisingly, they routinely walk on my left side, just off the
sidewalk. The tended to follow our trail back home when they got
tired, so I taught them the command "Go home."

Rhys and Frost have limits on what they can do, but those boys are
champs at helping me out. They can't tell me if someone left a bike in
the middle of the sidewalk (unless they go to investigate before I trip
over it), but they've taken me home, when I've missed a turn or turned
too early. All the kids in the apartment complex adore them, so that
helps me out socially too. I may have the first guiding-eye ferrets.

Let me also make mention that Rhys is one of those ferrets sensative to
how someone feels and even if that person has recently been physically
hurt. He always seems to know when I need extra cuddles. If I've got
a new bruise or have have surgery recently, he'll go directly to the
spot of injury and try to nuzzle it and rub it. He does these things
immediately when let out of his cage, not first going to play. I can
also add that Rhys knows how to "stay" (only works as a "hold still"
when I'm holding him or he's being admired by other people). He can
also hook his front feet around my first finger and swing for up to
ten seconds while dangling in mid air (no ferrets were hamred in the
creation of this trick); it is quite a feat for a ferret weighing over
five pounds!

While Rhys is is only four-years-old and will be around for a few more
years of guide-ferret duties, buddles, and cute tricks, but Frost will
be leaving us soon. He'll be eight-years-old at the first on the new
year, and his adrenal can no longer be consistantly controled by
medication. I'll miss my feisty albino old man, who loves to try and
catch the waves of Lake Erie. SaraFerret, he'll be coming to see you
soon.

With respect,
Lori in Ohio
Cats: Reaganne & Little Miss
Ferrets: Rhys & Frost, Ayla & Codo, Holly & Charlie