From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:28:26 -0800
Hello fellow furry lovers,

I'm sure we all remember the unfortunate incident involving the ferret
'Rocky' here in CA, last month.  In response, I wrote a very sincere and
polite letter to Robert Koss who is the Director for the County of San Diego
Health and Human Services Agency.  I figure that you attract more flies with
honey than with vinegar. ;-)

In response, I just received a very formal but polite letter from Robert
Koss.  However, the information in the letter is quite disappointing.  I
know that we on the FML are trying to keep track of where each state stands
in regards to the Rabies Compendium, so I will quote a few excerpts from the
letter, which will point out exactly where CA stands.  BIG, I hope I am
formatting this post in a legal manner, since this is not an article, but an
actual letter written to myself and my husband??  Well, here's the important
stuff:

"The California Department of Health Services, Veterinary Public Health
Section (VPHS) is responsible for the surveillance, prevention, and control
of animal rabies in California.  According to VPHS there is no definite data
firmly establishing incubation and shedding periods for varying strains of
rabies in ferrets.

In the absence of such data, California has chosen not to adopt the recent
revision to the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians,
Rabies Compendium.  According to the National Compendium ferrets should be
included with dogs and cats regarding post exposure management, and
management of animals that bite humans.

In the situation of the ferret named Rocky, The California State VPHS was
consulted and the decision was made to follow the current California
Compendium of Rabies Control which states that quarantine and observation of
animal species other than dogs and cats that bite humans is not appropriate.
Unless the victim that is bitten agrees to full rabies prophylaxis, the
biting wild animals, other than dogs or cats, will be euthanized and tested
for rabies immediately.  In this case, the victim refused the prophylactic
regimen.

The concerns you raise have been brought to the attention of the California
Department of Health Services.  They assure us that the policy will be
reviewed."

    -
Well, there you have it.  Apparently in CA, the rabies shedding period is
still unknown, ferrets are still wild, and science is obsolete (give me one
second to work up a surprised look).  Being a civil/structural engineer for
the city of LA, that last one really hurts!  But hey, if you look good in a
bikini, you're in there baby!  What can I say.....(SIGH!)

I know that some FML'ers have tons of info. on some of the concerns stated
in the letter, such as the rabies shedding period (is Sukie Crandall one of
them?  I'm sorry but I can't remember).  If anyone can supply me with any
helpful info., and can post to the list with their e-mail address, I can
respond privately, therefore keeping my anonymity to protect my furkids.
I am definitely willing to try to get the facts to the CA Dept. of Health
Services.  If they really are reviewing the policy, then maybe they'll
actually be a little open minded.  Well, maybe I'm being excessively
hopeful, but I've gotta try anyway!  :o)

For the furkids!
Anita