From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 12:20:21 -0800
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Molting?
>My second fuzzy KC just dumped half of her summer coat and grew her new,
>fluffy winter coat in the period of about a week.  I noticed during that
>exact time (which, BTW, was right after her annual distemper shot/vet check
>up - where she was found perfectly healthy), she was acting a big more
>lethargic than usual, had funny, green-tinged poop and made a funny wheezing
>noise & licked her lips quite a bit.

I'd suspect a coincidence.  Stress of vaccination visit might have triggered
the coat change timing somehow but the coat change doesn't trigger
"symptoms".  Lethargy (if mild) after a vaccination is a sign the shot is
working; not a bad reaction.

>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lansing, MI show report (Der Easel)
>And lastly, much amused thanks to Bill Killian for gracefully putting up
>with my teasing - of COURSE your judging abilities are faultless. :)

I wish I never made mistakes...  Did like your ferrets very much.

>From:    Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: update on Snoopy
>Sue Brown from Chicago (anyone know of her?) and it will be entirely on you
>guessed it, Ferrets.

Susan Brown is one of the more noted ferret vets in the country (US).  I've
heard a lecture or two by her.  And have talked to her at the Chicago shows
and at vet conferences.

>From:    Christine Code <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: best way to remove ferret fur?
>I love my fleece jacket, except that it is perpetually covered in ferret
>hair.

Use the lint brushes that are basically an inside out roll of tape.  You use
a bit until it is hair covered and not sticky than remove a bit so more glue
is exposed.

>From:    Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: poop, litter, canned, sick UK ferret, etc.
>The two brands I recommend are Pine Fresh and Nature's Way Feline Pine.

Oops used the wrong name a few days ago...  Nature's Way...  Sorry....

>From:    The Ferretously Funky One <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Shelters

Well I'm glad you want to support your local shelter.  The ferret shelter
picture is not that bleak.  We do not have to handle the over-population the
way dog and cat shelters do.  It is not an over-population as much as a bad
distribution problem.  None of the private shelters has to put down ferrets
in the way dogs and cats are put down daily.  The fact that ferrets are
normally sold already altered at pet stores is one of the saving graces.
Its a two edged sword though as it MIGHT be a contributing factor to the
medical problems.  In general the number of ferrets that end up at shelters
is relatively low.  There is this year a bad problem in this area (DC/MD/VA)
which is why the more responsible breeders have cut back on breeding
somewhat.  But it is probably a single year phenomenon since it is the
result of local shelters being forced to close at about the same time.  We
local shelters are working out ways to handle the drastic regional changes -
hopefully announcements on this soon.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/