From:
Michelle Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 12:44:21 -0700
>From:    Nancy Brenny <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pet stores and young ferrets

I know I am including other animals in my reply and I hope no one minds.  I
felt it was necessary as the poster I am replying to referred to ferrets
*and* other animals.

>Ferrets, like other animals are separated from their mother and siblings
>at a young age.  One of the biggest reasons is because they will start
>inbreeding if you don't separate them.

Since when does a ferret start inbreeding at 6 or 7 weeks?  Heck, you'd
have to be raising Hamsters and Mice to get inbreeding this young.  Even
Guinea Pigs and Rabbits aren't sexually mature at this age!

>So of course ferrets and other animals are sold a young age like 6 of 7
>weeks.  So before you go off and blaming all the pet stores, maybe you
>should look at nature.

Are you saying that in nature animals are cast from the nest to avoid
inbreeding at 6 weeks?  Perhaps you should really do a little more research
into this.  Different animals benefit from different seperation times.
Ferrets are one that is better socially adjusted from a longer period with
mom.

As a petstore employee, the knowledge you give to a potential owner can
mean the difference between life and death for an animal.  Never stop
learning!

>Karen

Michelle