From:
"Viki S. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:06:40 -0500
Ladies & Gentlemen (and of course, associated furballs) -

I apologize for the lack of updates recently.  I was delightfully
overwhelmed with a number of helpful and encouraging e-mails and phone
calls from fellow FML-ers.  My deepest and sincerest thanks to Rick White
of SAFE, who has been helping me stumble through the legalities of this
situation.

At this point, I will be attending the City Council meeting next Tuesday.
We have an excellent opportunity to modify the ordinance in this early
stage that may entirely negate the need for demonstrations and petitions.
This phase is about education and gentle persuasion.  The primary points
to convey to any of your aldermen (if you reside in the city of Chicago)
are as follows:

1) The State of Illinois and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
recognizes the species known as Mustela Furo as a domestic breed.  They
are not a "fur bearing mammal" (defined as an animal bred and raised
solely for the production of its pelt or carcass for commercial
purposes).

2) The IDNR no longer requires permits merely to possess a ferret in the
state of Illinois.  According to Bill Bluett of Wildlife Resources, since
no feral populations were established in the past, the department opted
not to track them any longer.

3) Cook County already requires ferret owners to vaccinate their animals
against rabies.  Illinois defers to the National Rabies Compendium, which
lists those species recommended to receive rabies vaccinations.  IMRAB 3
is the approved rabies vaccination for M. Furo as outlined by the CDC in
their Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control.

4) Speaking of CDC and the whole monkeypox issue that we suspect started
this crazy ordinance, the CDC and FDA have prohibited transportation of
ONLY the following RODENTS: prairie dogs, tree squirrels, robe squirrels,
dormices, gambian giant pouched rats, brush-tailed porcupines, and
striped mice.  Feel free to download this in .PDF format from
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/monkeypox/pdf/embargoqa.pdf

5) By the way, have we mentioned that a ferret is NOT a rodent?  You
all know that.  Our politicians may not be as knowledgeable.  A little
taxonomical enlightenment may be in order.

So really, the issues to drive home are as follows: ferrets (specifically
M. furo) are domesticated and recognized as such by the FDA, CDC, USDA,
and the State of Illinois; ferrets are already vaccinated against rabies
in Cook County; the majority of ferrets owned and purchased are already
spayed/neutered, eliminating fears of feral populations (can't say that
about dogs and cats here); and ferrets are neither hosts nor carriers of
the monkeypox virus.  Yes, I still plan on contacting as many aldermen I
can, but a quick phone call requesting a review and a minor rewrite to
include domestic ferrets (M. furo) in subsection (c) of the exotic pet
ban ordinance would be oh so helpful.  It's much easier, in my opinion,
to ask for a minor revision and clarification than to ask them to throw
the whole thing out.

Rick and I have been in constant contact trying to build our case for
presentation next Tuesday.  I'm also knee-deep in documentation refining
my executive summary, which I've already shared with a few people.  I've
found that business men and politicians tend to process things in small,
bite-sized chunks rather than massive wads of documentation.  If anyone
does plan to attend Tuesday's meeting, please let me know.  It's always
nice to have a little moral support.

Again, thanks for the outpouring of support.  Sorry I've been so quiet.
Trying to juggle work, personal life and a new part-time career as a
ferret lobbyist has been an experience.  My admiration and respect for
those of you who have walked this path before have grown a thousand fold.

Back to lurking...for the moment.

Viki Rollins