From:
mellisad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:52:09 -0500
I would like to thank everyone that has responded and become involved
in the whole ordeal against the neglect Hope suffered though under the
"care" of Pet Supermarket.  So many people actively responded, and I am
deeply appreciative.  I am happy to report - we all made a difference!

On 6/10/02 Marshall Farms responded after reviewing Hope's website.  They
were very apologetic, I don't believe they understood the severity of the
neglect until they saw the pictures.  They are reimbursing me for the
purchase price of Hope from Pet Supermarket in the amount of 118.79.  They
are also covering all vet expenses related to her condition.  I believe
MF was appalled that this happened, and did their best to "right" the
situation as best they could.

PETA also became involved, and was forwarded all documentation.  Thanks
to others on this mailing list (especially Jane), PETA focused their
attention toward the animals remaining at the store.

On 6/11/02, the Greater Birmingham Humane Society reviewed all
documentation and became involved.  I was advised to sign an arrest
warrant for the responsible parties involved in the neglect of Hope.
The humane society coordinated efforts of the local law enforcement where
I originally filed the report, PETA, and animal control.

A corporate Pet Supermarket representative finally returned my call.  I
am sending him all documentation.  He was very apologetic, and said all
employees at Trussville would be trained "to spot a sick animal."  I do
not believe he yet understands the severity of the condition of the
animal, but pictures are on the way!

Today, 6/12/02, the Pet Supermarket was raided by coordinating agencies.
I was contacted by local news media coverage ABC 33/40, as the event
was being filmed.  I was told the pet store was charged with several
violations.  I do not know if any ferrets or other animals were taken into
protective custody.  I was not given any specifics.  I do expect to hear
reports from coordinating agencies tomorrow, and will report the outcome.

I was unable to obtain an arrest warrant for the "responsible parties" for
animal cruelty charges.  Since this is a store and not an individual, the
legal guidelines are vague as to who is responsible for the cruelty to the
animal.  The cruelty has been proven, and investigators are researching
what can be done to bring criminal charges for what happened to Hope.
And yes - I am pressing charges.

On a brighter note, Hope is doing great!  She has regained her strength,
and is now quite energetic.  Despite the fact she landed on her face
several times, she can now do a "happy dance." She is very playful, yet
so very affectionate.  She has become quite the talker - she just chatters
until she is placed in a lap!  Thankfully, she has learned to eat out of a
dish and is now receiving baby food AND mushy ferret food.

My husband and I found such a blessing in Hope - it is so rewarding to
have the opportunity to turn her situation around.  You all deserve a
huge thank you, please know you made a difference.  So many of you wrote
encouraging letters, offered advice on Hope's care, voiced your opinions
on the neglect of Hope, and offered you full support.  Thank you.  It did
make a difference.

Mellisa  (Cid, Boo, and an improving Hope)