From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 1995 10:39:28 -0400
Dick,
There are several disease conditions to consider in a ferret that is not
eating.  When a ferret won't eat to the point of starvation there is
something wrong (eating is an instinct).
1)Stomach ulcers--These can cause many symptoms including poor appetite,
tarry (black) stools, diarrhea.  When the ulcer invades blood vessles you
will see tarry stools (but this is not always present).  It can help to check
for occult blood in the stool (this is a chemical  test your veterinarian can
do to detect blood in the stool before it becomes visable grossly).  For
subtle cases when we suspect ulcers we will sometimes imploy treatment for 2
wks. to see if there is a clinical response.
2) Partial Forign Body-- If there is a small forign body that does not cause
an obstruction, but irritates the stomach it can cause anorexia.  The
diagnosis is made on examination of the barium series (The transit  of the
barium out of the stomach is delayed past the normal 30 minutes).  Somtimes
we can also palpate the forign body in the abdomen.
3)Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis--Symptoms include diarrhea, poor appetite,
somtimes vomiting.  This diagnosis is made on exploratory surgery and biopsy
of the GI tract.  It is very treatable with prednisone.
4)GI Lymphosarcoma--Symptoms include diarrhea, poor appetite, weight loss,
lymph node enlargement, possible vomiting.  Diagnosis is made on biopsy of
the GI tract.  In a large number of the cases the lymphocyte count is greater
then 3500 or more then 55% of the total white blood count.
5)broken tooth--these can cause pain and some ferrets will stop eating if
they are painful enough.  To diagnose this we would do a close exam (with a
dental probe) of every tooth, one at a time.  Extraction of the tooth and a
course of antibiotics is curative.

Remember with all of these diseases the symptoms listed are not always all
seen.  Many times we see 1 or 2 of the symptons listed.  Also for several
conditions the only way to diagnose the disease is with a biopsy.  I would
recommend a fecal work up (check for parasites and for occult blood) and a
thruogh dental exam.  If these are negative I would expect to have to do an
exploratory to save this ferret.  I commend you on all your great supportive
care in keeping this guy going.

Good Luck,
Dr Weiss
Potomac Animal Hosp.