From:
April Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:48:14 -0500
>about 4 days ago navidad got her second shot (our first together) she
>did not like the temp being taking cry and fought the vet said they all
>do this.  Is she right?  (it did not feel right)

Hi.  In my clinic we have not come across a ferret yet that did not squirm
like mad when we took their temp, even my Renate, who was barely 340g,
dehydrated and on death's door when I rescued her.  One of my vets said
"Even the sickest, most unresponsive, near-death ferret comes alive and
becomes the most active critter when you try to take their temp!". :)
Your ferret's reaction seems perfectly normal to me.  (Would YOU enjoy a
thermometer in your nether regions?)

Also, it is not uncommon for them to be extra lethargic/sleepy the first
day or so after the shot; much more than that and I would be worried, but
it's not unusual shortly after the vaccination.  Also, irritation and even
a lump at the vaccination site is not unheard of-Nicodemus usually has a
lump even several weeks after his vaccines (he is extra sensitive to them,
though has had no anaphlactic reactions).

Hope this helps!

-April