From:
Sherri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Dec 1996 09:45:24 -0500
Hi all--

Ferret Math strikes our home on Thursday (payday!) And I can hardly wait.
Christmas Eve and Day will be only two more days to wait and I'm so very
impatient.

I've had my ears out for a fert for a couple of months now--wrote to a MN
person who's friend had two to adopt out, and wrote to the MN Ferret
Association (thanks much to the person who sent me that info--I'm sorry for
not responding personally)--but heard nothing from either, private or assoc.
Yesterday I checked the wonderful, clean, caring local pet store that
carries ferrets periodically but hasn't had any for a few months.  There was
1 darling 9-wk old boy left of a litter of 8.  And no litters coming in
until *at least* the end of Jan.  I fell in love.  He's a *very* dark sable
with a lovely pure cream undercoat.  He's got the thickest, softest, most
beautiful fur I've ever seen.  I'm crazy for him.  He was absolutely
calm--almost listless, even--when I was trying to get his attention.  But
when the lady said, "Would you like to hold him?" and opened the cage door
he *immediately* perked right up, eyes shining, face joyous, war dancing...
He looked *huge* for 9 wks, almost as big as my 4lb Pepper, but when I
picked him up I realized it was all fluff!

What a little luv!  He chewed my fingers but did not nip, even when he
wrapped his tiny teeth right around my whole finger.  He sniffed me, smiled
at me (I swear!) climbed all over me and then gave my boyfriend a look that
said "take me!" and (again, I swear!) started leaning from my arms in order
to encourage Dave to hold him.  That's all she wrote.  I looked at the owner
wistfully and said, "I love him but I don't get paid until Thursday." She
happily let me make a small payment to hold him for me until then.

I really was looking for a rescue or shelter ferret, but I've haven't been
able to find one anywhere close, and I've never had a kit before--only quite
grown family additions.

And it was fate.  Our other option was to drive to Minneapolis next Monday,
to visit the MN assoc.  And at 8:00 this morning I got into an accident on
the freeway and totaled my car.  I'm fine, but sorry I couldn't visit Zorro
(maybe?) again today so I'll be more familiar to him Thurs morn.  I called
and told them who I was and asked if he was fine.  The girl giggled and said
he was definitely fine, sleeping now but anxious to go to his new home.

He comes with a health guarentee from the breeder, for such and such # of
days, I suppose, and a registration card.

Ok, declawing . . . I called my vet and asked about this because Pepper was
scratching the heck out of our carpet in our rented apt. My vet told me that
they do not declaw ferrets because the claws don't retract like a
cat's--they're permanetly out like a dog's, and my vet feels the claws are
needed for the ferret to walk properly.  That was enough info for me.  I
like and trust my vet, though I haven't dealt with him and ferrets with any
major illnesses . . .  so I gave up the idea and bought some bitter apple
and slipped a carpet sample under the doors where he likes to dig.  I also
squirt him with a water bottle.  And finally, our dog knows digging is not
allowed and she exuberently chases Pepper away from those areas quite
faithfully.

To people who's ferts are declawed w/ no adverse effects--I'm happy for you
that it seems to work.  My vet said "no" and it's not important enough for
me to take my babes to a vet I don't trust when I've found workable
alternatives.  This isn't a slam that *you* should find alternatives,
either.  I considered declawing Pepper and I don't have real strong feelings
about declawing--tho' I've never personally seen one w/o front claws.

Thankfully those of us here would never consider de-footing like someone did
that I heard of from someone here. That story made me cry--the cruelty of it
is unbearable to me.

Fert in movie--just noticed for the 1st time the ferret in "Legends of the
Fall" pet of child Isabelle II--must not have been paying attention the
first time I saw it!  Now I have *two* reasons to stare adoringly when
watching that movie!

--Sherri